Can another type of tax professional help me?

Depending on your particular circumstances, the answer may be yes. A tax attorney, however, can represent you in court for tax issues and at meetings with the IRS through power of attorney representation, which non-attorney tax professionals may not be able to do. Also, keep in mind that a tax attorney will likely have strong negotiation skills in addition to expertise in the tax code, both of which work to your advantage.